8.28.2009

Nathan's Potty Training Week: Review


In my opinion, this is the best potty for little boys.

Here is a brief journal of how our potty training went this week with Nathan.  This is more for us so that we will remember, but maybe this could be helpful to someone else reading.

Day 1: Tuesday, August 25th, 2009
-Spent all day at home
-Woke up and said farewell to the diapers.  We gave the diapers to baby brother.  Underwear replaced the diapers in his former diaper basket.
-Process: Set the timer for 10 minutes and then sat on potty for five minutes.  We had previously practiced sitting on the potty and waiting there until the timer beeped.  This was extremely helpful in our training.  He was rewarded whenever he would sit on the potty and his underwear was dry.  If he had an accident, we would do "potty drills" where we would run from his room to the bathroom several times in a row and practiced pulling down his underwear and sitting on the potty.  This was really fun and made him laugh, but also drove home the point that he should have come to the potty instead of going in his underwear.  If he did go to the bathroom, whether it was an accident or a success in the potty, the timer then was set for 20 minutes, and then he sat back on the potty for 5 minutes after that. This happened all day long. - exhausting, but worth it.
-Result: Two #1 accidents in the morning and 3 successes in the afternoon during those 5 minute intervals of sitting.  No #2s!

Day 2: Wednesday, August 26th, 2009
-Spent all day at home, but Aunt Kristie came to visit for a short time.
-Process: My plan for today was to ask him if he needed to go, but not to force him.  I still set a timer, but this time for every 30 minutes just so I would know how long it had been, but I left it up to him if he needed to sit on the potty.  I was expecting a lot of accidents, but was pleasantly surprised!  Only sticker rewards today when he has a success in the potty.
-Result: He woke up at 7 a.m. and did not go #1 until 8:30 a.m., but HE INITIATED!!!!  After bothering him about 20 different times in the morning, he finally came to me and said, "Mama, pee-pees are coming."  We ran to the bathroom, he sat down, and he went!  Amazing!  He had no #1 accidents!  He went #1, 8 different times this day.  
-Accidents: He had one #2 accident in the morning, which was partly my fault.  He had just gone pee, so I went to take my shower while he played, thinking I had at least 20 minutes.  When I came out of the shower, I heard him flushing the toilet, so I quickly ran to the bathroom and found his soiled underwear on the floor, him flushing the toilet and the infamous skid marks on the potty.  I'm not entirely sure what happened, but I think he must have had the accident, and then realized he should have been on the potty.  He had an almost #2 accident in the afternoon.  We were playing in his room with Aunt Kristie, when all of a sudden I realized he was in his #2 squatting position between his bed and the wall.  When I saw what he was doing, I asked if he was going poo-poo and he said, "Poo-poo in the diaper!"  Of course, he did not have a diaper on, he had underwear on, so I quickly picked him up and brought him into the bathroom just in time for things to go where they were suppose to.  
-Overall: Amazed that he knows when his body is about to pee, and that he is able to tell me so we can get to the bathroom, pull down his pants, and sit before he actually goes.  We gave him a special "Pee-Pee Present" for initiating going #1 for the first time.

Day 3: Thursday, August 27th, 2009
-Had a doctor's appointment at 8:45 a.m., so we were not home all day.  Also, I decided to go over to a friends house.  Since he went so well the day before I thought it would be good to get out and try our potty training in another home.  Thankfully our friend was okay with us coming even though Nathan was in underwear and had only been doing this for 2 days.
-We packed up a change of clothes including underwear and diapers, wipes, plastic bags, and our potty.  I figured out that I could pull the passenger side seat all the way up and put the potty on the floor of the car, and that would give Nathan enough room to go on his potty in the car when we arrived to the doctor's office.
-Process: He peed before we left for the doctor.  I put a waterproof lap pad in his carseat just in case.  I kept telling Nathan the whole way in the car that if he felt his pee-pees coming, he could tell me, and I would stop the car so he could go in his potty.  I was nervous the whole way.  No accidents though!  When we arrived to the doctor's office I had him try to go on the potty in the car, but he did not have to go.  When we were done at the doctors' I asked him if he wanted to try again and he said no.  So, off we went to our friends house which was about 25 minutes away.  No accidents in the car, praise the Lord!  Nathan played well with his friends for about 2.5-3 hours.  He did not ask to go potty the whole time, even though I kept asking him.  No accidents!  Finally, I had him try to go before we left to go home for lunch.  He sat on the potty and successfully went #1.  Yay!
-Accidents: #2 accident in the afternoon.  He kept saying that poops go in the diaper, so the plan for the next day was to work on the idea that both pee and poop go in the potty.  I made a big deal about how yucky it is to have #2 in your underwear.  Nathan and I were both saying, "Yucky!!!!!" and I think he got the idea that it's gross, just still not sure if he's convinced to actually sit on the potty and do it there.  
-Overall: Glad that we're able to be out of the house and have major success!!!  

Day 4: Friday, August 28th, 2009
-Today!!!  Brian is home from work today because yesterday was his last day at his old job (Job Finder) and this coming Tuesday, September 1st will be his first day at his new job as an Admissions Representative at Miller-Motte College.  Exciting!!!!  Many answered prayers here!
-Plan for the day: To get out of the house!  Go to Babies R Us to look at infant carseats for baby #2 since the one we used for Nathan will be expired the month our baby is due.  Also, to purchase a smaller potty that we can keep in the car.  Eat lunch at Sweet Tomatoes.  Possibly do some other shopping depending on time.  So, we'd be out of the house a lot today!  Another training opportunity!
-Process: He has this pee-pee thing down.  Our main thing today was to work on poo-poo in the potty.  We explained in the morning that he will get sticker rewards like he has been getting the last 3 days for pee-pees, and he will get 2 pieces of delicious chocolate if he goes #2 in the potty.  We were really trying to get him excited about this.  We talked about how the babies go #2 in the diapers and the big boys go #2 in the potty.  We asked him, "Do the poops go in the diapers?  NO!!!!!!  Do the poops go in the underwear?  NO!!!!!  Do the poops go in the potty?  YES!!!!!!!!!!!"  We did this question and answer mantra again and again.  Then Nathan started asking us the questions and we had to answer him the correct Yes or No.  That was pretty hilarious.  He went in the potty before we headed out and did not have to go until we were done at Babies R Us and were already at the restaurant.  We sat down to eat and he immediately said, "Pee-Pees!!!"  So we went into the bathroom with our travel potty that we had just bought and he did it!  Glad we had the small potty, because that huge public restroom potty was pretty intimidating to him.  We washed up and went back to the table.  Then a few minutes later he said, "Poo-poos are coming!"  We were in shock.  Okay, so we rushed back to the bathroom and put the potty down and he successfully initiated and did his first poop all by himself in the potty.  It was incredible!  He then went #1 one more time before we left the restaurant.  We headed on over to Mattress Firm right after this since it was in the same shopping center as the restaurant and looked at twin mattresses for our big boy!  He will need a comfortable place to sleep when baby brother takes over the convertible crib.  After about 30 minutes there, we asked him about going again, but he did not need to until we got home at about 3 p.m. and he went right before he went down for his nap.
-Accidents: None so far. 
-Overall: I'm amazed and thankful.  I'm also realizing that he doesn't go in the potty nearly as often as it seems he went in his diaper.  I guess he really is learning control.  He doesn't just dribble all day long, but he really is emptying his bladder when he goes.  

And on...
-We're waiting on the underwear at nap and bedtime.  We still put him in a diaper during these times.
-We're aware that a lot of children regress after a few weeks, so this log is not to boast, but just to record our experience.  If we have some set backs, we realize that potty training takes a while and will require constant training for a season of time.
-As mentioned in the previous post, I really recommend this resource if you're interested.

No comments: