12.22.2008

Thankful for a stranger

I'm thankful for the other young mom in Kroger today!  

Nathan and I were getting just a few things, but he was not happy about it.  I was determined to have Nathan stay put in the shopping cart despite the screaming, crying, twisting, and turning.  Several times I stopped strolling to talk kind words to him and reassure him that it was best for him to obey his mommy and stay seated in the cart so that his foolishness would not result in injury.  After several attempts to calm my child with little success, this other mommy strolls right up to me, leans over and says, "Do you want some goldfish?" Without hesitation I answered, "I would absolutely LOVE some goldfish!"  I held out my hand, and she filled my hand with the perfect supply of goldfish to help occupy my child for the rest of our shopping trip.  Already emotional from several minutes of disciplining and pleading with my child in a public place, the kindness of this other mommy brought tears to my eyes.  It was so reassuring to be reminded that all moms experience similar types of suffering in childrearing even when it feels like you're alone.  Goldfish are definitely not the answer to the rebellion in my child's heart.  It's Jesus alone that can change my child's heart and who has changed my heart to want to walk in obedience.  We pray everyday that God would invade the rebellion and give Nathan a glad heart in Jesus Christ!  

I'm still thankful for goldfish!

4 comments:

Hannah's Mom said...

Goldfish may not be the answer to the rebellion in Nathan's heart... but I'm sure that they kept you from sin today! I'm with you all the way... I hate grocery shopping with a toddler!

Nathan's PopPop said...

Sounds a lot like his Daddy - a little cranky in the stores, loves to eat. Just kidding (about the cranky part)! Hey, you should have called PopPop to come down and babysit while you go to the store, that makes it a lot easier for you. I have to be at the radio station on Wednesday morning but could be there by 12:30 if you need a couple hours relief - plus I get to play with Slowpoke!

Nathan's PopPop said...

Check that - I DO NOT have to go to the station tomorrow morning - I have to be there tomorrow night for a while. So if you need some help Wed am let me know.

kari said...

amen!