10.17.2008

You Know it's Fall When...

For me, it doesn't officially feel like fall until I've made my first official Apple Betty.  I know Fall officially "fell" a month ago, or something like that, but last night was my first Apple Betty of the season, so now I can rest assured that according to my taste buds, it's the Fall season.  Do you want to bake yourself into Fall the Sylvester way?  Try the recipe for yourself:

Apple Betty 
(from Better Homes and Gardens 
New Cook Book, copyright 1976)

4 cups sliced tart apples
1/4 cup orange juice
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 cup butter

Mound apples in buttered 9-inch pie plate; sprinkle with OJ.  Combine sugar, flour, spices and dash salt; cut in butter till mixture is crumbly; sprinkle over apples.  Bake at 375F for 45 minutes or till apples are tender and topping is crisp.  Serve with vanilla ice cream.  Serves 6.

1 comment:

Glindy said...

Love this recipe! Thanks for posting it, I keep losing it.
Love,
Mom xxoo